The Pfeiffer™ Biodynamic (BD) Compost Starter contains all of the compost preparations (BD #502-507), Horn Manure BD (#500) plus a concentrated mixture of cultivated strains of beneficial soil bacteria, enzymes, fungi, and plant growth promoting factors which increase the proliferation of microorganisms resulting in more rapid decomposition of materials, stabilization of nitrogen, and transformation to colloidal humus. Properly prepared for use, each ounce can yield more than 1.36 billion CFU’s (colony forming units) of beneficial organisms.
Benefits of the Pfeiffer™ BD Compost Starter This Compost Starter helps to ensure proper introduction of the BD preparations with minimal knowledge of biodynamic agriculture. It is unequaled in its composting effect, yielding a rapid breakdown of material. Under proper conditions of moisture, aeration, and organic matter (as given in the Carbon/Nitrogen ratio below), the BD Compost Starter will:
- Quickly decompose raw organic matter, breaking it down into simpler compounds
- Re-assemble these simple compounds into complex long-lasting humus
- Fix nitrogen from the air and otherwise make it available for plant nutrition
- Increase the availability of minerals, transforming them into their available form
- Hold the soil and improve its structure
- Prevent leaching and washing away of soil, and lessen or eliminate erosion
- Improved soil structure. Soil is easier to prepare and cultivate
- Improved water drainage. Water more readily is absorbed and penetrates deeper.
- Root growth is stimulated.
- Nitrogen release is steady and without losses.
- Nutrients are preserved and made available. Absorption of nutrients is facilitated.
- Health soil micro-life is fostered and maintained.